You asked, so here we go!
During my travels over the last year I have gained experience in being a self proclaimed ‘expert travel packer’.
When I began traveling I had it bad- I checked a bag PLUS a carry on PLUS my personal item. Most times this was for small weekend trips.
My biggest excuse was “what if I need this?? I need options during my trip”. In reality, I’d use less than 30% of the things I packed. What a waste!
On my recent 5 day trip I took only the two bags pictured which included 8 outfits, 3 pairs of shoes (including the pair I wore), multiple hair products (natural gal), makeup, my electronic accessories, toiletries and snacks.
Below are 10 super helpful tips for packing light while also having everything you need:
• If you think you have too much- you probably do. Put at least 3 outfits back. Yes you. Just put them back. The process of elimination can be tough but be real with yourself.
•Pack ahead of time. Planning ahead provides much more clarity of what you will actually wear and need for the trip.
• Roll your clothing. This creates much more space in your travel bag. Limit the jeans! Packing the heavier or more dense items first helps to make sure you can fit all items in your bag.
• Limit the number of toiletries you use. Do you REALLY need 4 different kinds of lotions & scents? Probably not 🤷🏿♀️
Walmart is a good resource to pick up a nice set of travel size bottles. Heck Dollar Tree may be even better!
I also like the small roller or spray perfumes of my favorite scents-they’re perfect for travel and daily on the go.
• Check the weather! Be in the know before you go- if you’re going somewhere warm just wear or pack a small sweater for airport travel.
•Limit the number of shoes you will wear. This honestly was the hardest for me. I am an avid shoe lover and I would pack shoes for every outfit- not worth the hassle. Stick to a maximum of 3 pair, including the ones you’ll wear.
• Makeup: just pack the basics – unless you’re a MUA, you don’t need to pack every makeup item you own, Sis.
• Get a good go-to carry on bag. Depending on what kind of trip I’m going on, I would either use my small bag carry on or I’d use my carry on rolling case.
• Do you really need the laptop? Even while on leisure trips I find myself working. If you are traveling somewhere that has a computer or laptop available, use it there. Oftentimes your phone or tablet could be just as efficient. If this is a work trip- you may want to carry your laptop.
• Don’t forget the snacks! My personal go-to snacks are granola bars, dried fruit, Slim Jim’s, and maybe a pack of skittles.
Remember, don’t overthink or stress about packing. Enjoy your travels and wonderful memories created.
Live Well & Travel Often.